These terms are used throughout this Web site, and abbreviated definitions are provided for the convenience of those who are new to the principles of EDI. This glossary is not intended to take the place of any information contained in the IAIABC EDI Implementation Guides.
- Data Collection Agent (DCA)A service company which keypunches the information from paper forms and transmits it electronically on behalf of its clients. The fee for this service is agreed upon between the data collection agent and the client. Many third-party administrators are also able to provide this service.
- EDI SupportThose individuals responsible for ensuring your EDI System performs properly. May be a part of your company's Data Processing staff or a contractor/vendor.
- EDI SystemThe computer application used for generating EDI transmissions. May be a custom application designed by your company's Data Processing staff or commercial software supported by a contractor/vendor.
- Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)Acronym for Electronic Data Interchange.
- IAIABCAcronym for the International Association of Industrial Accident Boards and Commissions.
- KYWCAcronym for the Kentucky Department of Workers' Claims.
- Trading PartnerEach entity transmitting electronic data via EDI.
- Value-Added NetworkAn "electronic post office" which routes the electronic reports and acknowledgments from sender to receiver using electronic mailboxes.
- VANAcronym for value-added network.